Teeth serve a very important purpose in every human’s life. Apart from giving a structure to the mouth, teeth help in the speech to the person. One of the important roles is the chewing of the food which aids in the digestion of the food. White sparkling teeth contributes to the great smile as well. But, teeth are susceptible to various tooth decay. Taking good dental care and regular visits to the dentist in Barrie Chapnick Dental can prevent dental problems in many ways.
What is tooth decay?
Tooth decay is the destruction of any part of the tooth. Decay can happen either in the enamel which is the outer layer of the tooth or in the dentin layer of the tooth.
Causes of tooth decay:
The prime reason for the tooth decay is the accumulation of the left-over food on the teeth. Bacteria get accumulated in this left-over food and produce acid. This combination of acid, saliva and food residue forms plaque which clings to the teeth. Acid production dissolves the enamel surface of the teeth, creating holes in the teeth called cavities.
Tips to prevent tooth decay:
Follow small tips to prevent tooth decay:
- Brush your teeth twice daily, preferably brush after every meal. especially before going to bed.
- Use fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Use interdental cleaners or floss to clean areas between the teeth.
- Use fluoride containing an antiseptic mouthwash to kill plaque-causing bacteria
- Limit junk food and snacks in the diet.
- Avoid sugar-containing foods like candy, chocolates, pretzels, and chips that can remain on the teeth surface.
- Eat a nutritious diet
- Check with your dentist about the use of supplemented fluoride which can strengthen your teeth.
- Check with your dentist about the use of dental sealants (a plastic protective coating). These dental sealants can be applied to the molars (back teeth which aid in the chewing of food) to protect them from plaque formation.
- Drink fluoridated water. This prevents tooth decay, especially in children.
Newer techniques in tooth decay prevention:
Chewing gum containing “Xylitol” stops the growth of bacteria. There are several materials which are placed between teeth and fissures that slowly release fluoride and thus prevents tooth decay. Newer kinds of toothpaste and mouth rinses are developed each day for preventing tooth cavity.
Visit your dentist daily:
You should visit regularly at least once in 3 months for our regular oral checkups and professional cleanings. The dentist in Barrie Chapnick Dental is a professional expert who has almost 20 years of experience in oral health. Our team of well-qualified dentists provides the best of the latest techniques for all types of dental problems and solutions.