Having white teeth boosts self-confidence, because you don’t need to think twice whether you’ll smile or not. But as people age, teeth naturally change its color mainly because of the food intake.Certain food and beverages can stain your pearly whites and brushing may not be as effectivebecause overtime, brushing causes the enamel to erode. Once it erodes, the yellowish tissue that makes up the bulk of all teeth called dentin is revealed.Whendentin is exposed, it gives the teeth a yellowish color.
If you are thinking about whitening your teeth, there are options availablebut some methods include chemical that may damage your teeth. Resorting to natural methods is the best option for a cleaner and healthier looking teeth.
Here are 6 ways to whiten your teeth naturally:
- Watch what you eat – If possible, avoid food and beverages with strong colors like tomato sauce, candies, gums, coffee and tea. By doing this, you are preventing your teeth from becoming stained. In addition, foodwith pigmented molecules called tanninsshould be avoided because they can also stain your teeth.
- Eating teeth-whitening fruits – Fruits like papaya and pineapple have bromelain, anatural stain remover that can help in whitening the teeth. Bromelain also helps break up plaque that accumulates on the teeth overtime.
- Drink lots of water– Drinking water cleanses the mouth in general. Water washes the food particles from in between teeth. In addition, rinsing your mouth with water will reduce the amount of stain your teeth may haveacquired from your previous meal.
- Brush with baking soda– Commercial toothpastes contain baking soda because of its power to whiten teeth naturally. The texture of the baking soda when used for brushing the teeth scrubs the surface stain on teeth.
- Use hydrogen peroxide– Just like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide is a natural whitening agent. A mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide can be used to brush the teeth. Try brushing the mixture for 1-2 minutes only twice a day for a week. However, this mixture must not be used for a long time because it may increase tooth sensitivity.If you’re feeling different after using the mixture, you may stop it.
- Maintain a good oral hygiene – No doubt, white teeth come from clean mouth. Maintaining a good oral hygiene may slowdown tooth yellowing. Good oral hygiene is the result of regular brushing and flossing. It protects the enamel, prevents gum decay, and removes stains.
Maintaining an excellent oral hygiene with regular dental checkups can help in keeping your teeth whiter. Everybody loves to flash a bright white smile but keep in mind that this can only be achieved if you’re willing to put extra effort on maintaining a good dental hygiene. While there are lots of teeth whitening treatments available, dental blogs may be able to point out methods or treatments that don’t break the bank.